Tuesday, April 03, 2007

An antidote to Burns Night ...

... in the form of another meme. Since I was at university, I have had it pretty forcibly drawn to my attention that my birthday is Burns Night. Occasionally, this has been accompanied by haggis, neeps and whisky. So here is another meme, to show that there's more to my birthday than a Scots poet.

Enter your birthday in Wikipedia
January 25

List three events that occurred on that day
41 - After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
1533 - Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
1919 - The League of Nations is founded.

List two important birthdays
1627 - Robert Boyle, Irish chemist (d. 1691)
1900 - Theodosius Dobzhansky, Ukrainian-American geneticist and biologist (d. 1975)
(Better than obscure rulers and actors, IMO)

List one death
1640 - Robert Burton, English scholar (b. 1577) (The Anatomy of Melancholy - not that I've read it)

List a holiday or observance
Tatiana Day, celebrated as the Day of Russian students since 1755, when the Moscow University was founded. (Two for the price of one there, methinks)

There's the usual stuff about tagging five other people - to which I will add my usual thing - if the hat fits, wear it. :)